Upcoming Community Events
Gentle Walk & Talk – Gorge Waterway Park: Thursday, November 23, 9:30 – 11:00 am. Meet at the Gorge Waterway, near Victoria Canoe & Kayak Club, at the end of Tillicum Road. Suitable for all walking abilities. No fee or registration required. More info. at www.saanichrec.ca
Knit Wits for Teens: Neckwarmers: Friday, November 24 and Friday, December 1, 3.30 pm – 5.00 pm at Saanich Centennial Branch Library. For ages 13-18. Learn the basics of knitting and create a simple neckwarmer in this two-part program. We supply instructions, yarn and knitting needles. Register at gvpl.ca or call 250-940-GVPL (4875) for more information.
Soup Day: Thursday, November 30: The last Thursday of every month is Soup Day at Saanich Neighbourhood Place (Pearkes Rec. Centre.) Come on down between 11.30 am and 1.00 pm for a bowl of delicious soup and a bun. Proceeds go towards supporting food security programs at Saanich Neighbourhood Place. A 'souper' lunch for a great cause!
Deck the Hall: Winter Lights Festival: Saturday, December 2, 5:00 – 8.30 pm, Saanich Municipal Hall. Kick off your holiday season at Saanich Municipal Hall with a festive lights display and a variety of seasonal activities. Children’s Christmas Concerts, photos with Santa, arts and crafts, seasonal entertainment, food and refreshments. FREE. More info. at www.saanich.ca
A Day with Santa: Sunday, December 9. Join us for a FREE full day of family-orientated holiday activities: 10:00 – 11:30 am: a movie at Silver City; 12:00 – 1:20 pm: skate and/or kindergym with Santa at Pearkes Rec. Centre; 1:30 – 2:30 pm: Christmas craft at Tillicum Centre. More info. at www.saanichrec.ca
Lights on the Gorge: Sunday, December 17, 1:00 – 6:00 pm, at the Victoria Canoe and Kayak Club and Gorge-ous Café. An informal, local, multicultural celebration of light will be back just before Winter Solstice this year: music, readings and more. To help, volunteer or for more information visit the GTCA website at www.gorgetillicum.ca
January 1, 2018: Happy New Year! Please remember to to renew your Gorge Tillicum Community Association membership when it expires ($5.00 for individuals and $25.00 for businesses).
Spring Bridal Exhibition 2018: Sunday, January 14, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Pearkes Rec. Centre. More info. at www.bridalexhibition.ca
Victoria Boat and Fishing Show: February 16 – 18, Pearkes Rec Centre. More info. at www.victoriaboatshow.com
Gorge Park Clean-up
The Gorge Tillicum Community Association (GTCA) organizes two main clean-ups of Gorge Park in April and September of every year. We need as many hands as possible to pick-up garbage and pull invasive species!
The next semi-annual clean-up will be Saturday April xx, 2018 from 9am to 12noon. Meet us in the Park just across from Fairway Market, at our tent and enjoy some donuts and coffee.
Gorge Canada Day Picnic
20th Annual GORGE CANADA DAY PICNIC 2018 - Sunday, July 1st, 8:30am-4:00pm
Thank-you to everyone for a wonderful 2017 Canada 150 at the Gorge Canada Day Picnic. We hope to see you for the 2018 Gorge Canada Day Picnic for our 20th Anniversary!
The Gorge Canada Day Picnic has its own separate website; please go to it for further information: http://www.gorgecanadaday.ca/
ROAD CLOSURE ADVISORY NOTICE - Gorge Road West
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 the Gorge Tillicum Community Association is hosting the 18th Gorge Canada Day Picnic, a day celebrating our country, its people, and the place we live. We again expect over 10,000 people to attend and stroll along Gorge Road itself and the Gorge Waterway paths.
An integral part of the day is the closure of Gorge Rd West between Tillicum and Admirals. We applied for and received a Special Event Permit from the Municipality. This road closure has been approved by Saanich and the Saanich Police and coordinated with BC Transit. Here are the details of the road closure.
1. Gorge Road West will be closed to vehicle traffic from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Sunday July 1, 2018 between Tillicum Road and Admirals Road. Vehicle access to and from Gorge Road West properties will be for emergency purposes only.
2. Affected Gorge Road West residents are requested to park their cars on the side streets on the evening of June 30th. If it is necessary to leave on July 1st access to and from all side streets will be by Vincent Ave., Cowper Ave., and Admirals Rd (for Rockwell & Inlet).
3. The westbound lane of Gorge Road West is a designated emergency access route for police, fire, and paramedics. It MUST be kept free of obstacles for emergency vehicles if necessary. Please do not set-up games, furniture, etc. on the road or sidewalks.
4. No residential parking is permitted in Gorge Road West parking lots/areas between 7:30am and 5:00pm on July 1st.
5. The #11 BC Transit bus service will re-route from Gorge Road West during the road closure.
Clearly a road closure like this is asking everyone to be as understanding as possible. Thank-you for your co-operation. For further information on the Picnic and the day’s programme, please visit the Picnic website at www.gorgecanadaday.ca.
BC TRANSIT RE-ROUTING ADVISORY NOTICE - Gorge Road West
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 the Gorge Tillicum Community Association is hosting the 19th Gorge Canada Day Picnic, a day celebrating our country, its people, and the place we live. We again expect over 10,000 people to attend and stroll along Gorge Road itself and the Gorge Waterway paths.
An integral part of the day is the closure of Gorge Rd West between Tillicum and Admirals. We applied for and received a Special Event Permit from the Municipality. This road closure has been approved by Saanich and the Saanich Police and coordinated with BC Transit. Here are the details of the BC Transit re-routing.
This advisory is based on last year, please check back closer to July 1st for any changes.
1. From the start of service until 6:00pm on Sunday July 1, 2018 the #11 bus will run from Tillicum Mall down Tillicum and straight to Gorge Road at the Tillicum/Gorge Road intersection. It will not run through the Admirals/Tillicum/Gorge neigbourhood.
2. A Shuttle Bus will be operating from lower Tillicum Mall to Burnside, Right-Tillicum, Right-Obed, Left-Dysart, Right-Cowper, Left-Admirals to Left-Craigflower, Left-Tillicum back to Tillicum Mall at the approximate scheduled departure times in the Riders Guide.
3. The Shuttle Bus will stop on: Craigflower at Admirals and Craigflower at Tillicum (Gorge Golf Course) to connect with the #14 and #26 and on Tillicum at Gorge to get to the Gorge Picnic or connect with #8 or #11 to downtown.