Gorge Canada Day Picnic
19th Annual GORGE CANADA DAY PICNIC 2017 - Saturday, July 1st, 8:30am-4:00pm
Of course we're putting this on again! We'll have four entertainment stages, classic cars, loads of food, kids' activities all at our gorgeous location along the beautiful Gorge Waterway. We hope to see you for the 2017 Gorge Canada Day Picnic on Canada's 150th Birthday!
The Gorge Canada Day Picnic has its own separate website; please go to it for further information: http://www.gorgecanadaday.ca/
ROAD CLOSURE ADVISORY NOTICE - Gorge Road West
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 the Gorge Tillicum Community Association is hosting the 18th Gorge Canada Day Picnic, a day celebrating our country, its people, and the place we live. We again expect over 10,000 people to attend and stroll along Gorge Road itself and the Gorge Waterway paths.
An integral part of the day is the closure of Gorge Rd West between Tillicum and Admirals. We applied for and received a Special Event Permit from the Municipality. This road closure has been approved by Saanich and the Saanich Police and coordinated with BC Transit. Here are the details of the road closure.
1. Gorge Road West will be closed to vehicle traffic from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Saturday July 1, 2017 between Tillicum Road and Admirals Road. Vehicle access to and from Gorge Road West properties will be for emergency purposes only.
2. Affected Gorge Road West residents are requested to park their cars on the side streets on the evening of June 30th. If it is necessary to leave on July 1st access to and from all side streets will be by Vincent Ave., Cowper Ave., and Admirals Rd (for Rockwell & Inlet).
3. The westbound lane of Gorge Road West is a designated emergency access route for police, fire, and paramedics. It MUST be kept free of obstacles for emergency vehicles if necessary. Please do not set-up games, furniture, etc. on the road or sidewalks.
4. No residential parking is permitted in Gorge Road West parking lots/areas between 7:30am and 5:00pm on July 1st.
5. The #11 BC Transit bus service will re-route from Gorge Road West during the road closure.
Clearly a road closure like this is asking everyone to be as understanding as possible. Thank-you for your co-operation. For further information on the Picnic and the day’s programme, please visit the Picnic website at www.gorgecanadaday.ca.
BC TRANSIT RE-ROUTING ADVISORY NOTICE - Gorge Road West
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 the Gorge Tillicum Community Association is hosting the 19th Gorge Canada Day Picnic, a day celebrating our country, its people, and the place we live. We again expect over 10,000 people to attend and stroll along Gorge Road itself and the Gorge Waterway paths.
An integral part of the day is the closure of Gorge Rd West between Tillicum and Admirals. We applied for and received a Special Event Permit from the Municipality. This road closure has been approved by Saanich and the Saanich Police and coordinated with BC Transit. Here are the details of the BC Transit re-routing.
This advisory is based on last year, please check back closer to July 1st for any changes.
1. From the start of service until 6:00pm on Saturday July 1, 2017 the #11 bus will run from Tillicum Mall down Tillicum and straight to Gorge Road at the Tillicum/Gorge Road intersection. It will not run through the Admirals/Tillicum/Gorge neigbourhood.
2. A Shuttle Bus will be operating from lower Tillicum Mall to Burnside, Right-Tillicum, Right-Obed, Left-Dysart, Right-Cowper, Left-Admirals to Left-Craigflower, Left-Tillicum back to Tillicum Mall at the approximate scheduled departure times in the Riders Guide.
3. The Shuttle Bus will stop on: Craigflower at Admirals and Craigflower at Tillicum (Gorge Golf Course) to connect with the #14 and #26 and on Tillicum at Gorge to get to the Gorge Picnic or connect with #8 or #11 to downtown.
The Gorge Tillicum Community Association is a voluntary organization recognized by Saanich as the representative voice of our community on local issues. We promote a healthy, vibrant community by addressing issues such as environment and parks, traffic and transportation, land use planning and streetscapes, social wellness and community celebration.
We have good working relationships with Saanich Council and municipal staff, and receive the support of local businesses for the Gorge Canada Day Picnic (see Picnic page for details)
The GTCA board of directors meetings are open to members and held monthly on the first Thursday at Pearkes Recreation Centre (except July & August) to direct the business of the association, with other sub committees involved with environment, traffic calming, Picnic planning, parks improvement meeting separately as required. Our Annual General Meeting occurs in the Spring each year and community members are welcome to attend and stand for election to the board. We produce three seasonal newsletters during the year and these are delivered to every household in the neighbourhood by volunteer carriers.
The GTCA has established itself as a vibrant, proactive community group in south Saanich. We have achieved a great deal and our strength has been attracting great local people who invest their time, energy and skill to help build our community’s future. We invite you to come and join us.